Every patient who undergoes a Lap-Band procedure wants to know what to do to be successful at losing weight and living healthier. The Lap-Band will help people who have significant weight to lose to get it off and keep it off. It will help them feel less hungry. Your part is to eat the small est amount that it takes to not be hungry any more. The difference between a Lap-Band and a diet is that you are usually hungry with dieting. All other principles of good eating apply.
Here are 10 rules for success with the Lap-Band, based on a list originally developed by Dr. Paul O’Brien of Melbourne, Australia, and Dr. Rudolf Weiner of Frankfurt, Germany — two of the leading Lap-Band surgeons in the world.
- Eat only three small meals a day.
- Eat solid foods, slowly, and chew thoroughly (15 to 20 times a bite).
- Stop eating as soon as you feel full.
- Do not wash down your solids with liquids.
- Do not eat between meals.
- Eat only quality foods.
- Avoid fibrous food.
- Drink enough fluids during the day.
- Drink only low-calorie liquids.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes a day.
The first principle will be possible with the Lap-Band and will keep you from feeling so hungry. Following these guidelines is essential to ensuring that you maximize healthy success and weight loss after your Lap-Band surgery.